- What do you think of their definition of a high residual volume?
- Do the results increase our understanding of the pathogenesis of VAP? How (briefly) would you design a study to look at the (possible) role of gastroparesis?
- Are they correct in saying calorific needs were met in the intervention group? On what assumption is this based?
- Do you want to know if your patient has gastroparesis for reasons other than the prevention of VAP?
- Why might the ethics committee have viewed not measuring volumes as standard care?
- 1/3 of screened (ventilated) patients weren't expected to be ventilated for >48 hours. Few had had intra-abdo surgery within the last month. What type of ICUs do you think these were?
- Most importantly do you think we should stop measuring residual volumes?
This study looks at the effect of not monitoring gastric residual volume on rates of VAP.
You might want to think (and post) about the following:
This is a collection of blog posts written about new research or topics of interest.